From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 14:44:01 -0400
Almost forgot :  Although Jefferson pushed the LA Purchase treaty through
the Senate in three successive readings on Oct 18, 19 & 20 1803 without any
debate (mainly to meet the 6-months deadline in the treaty, but also to play
down his constitutional qualms*) the legislation for the governance of
Virginia elicited a tremendous debate in Congress that your friend will want
to consult in the Annals of Congress.  (Always use 3 Ns in that title.)
  Slavery is at issue.  And its America's first real debate about whether it
should admit the newcomers as citizens or subjects - i.e., is the US a
republic or an empire?
Jon Kukla

* Jefferson's qualms had little to do with authority to acquire territory
and everything to do with how to bring a perceived alien population into the
union without trampling on the implicit 1787 compact between the populations
of the constituent states.  You can check this out by reading Jefferson's
attempts to draft an amendment to the Constitution, which I printed as
appendixes to A Wilderness So Immense........
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>
Online interview : http://www.virginiavoice.org/celebrity.html