From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:01:06 -0500
I don't know whether Paul is right or not but I would suggest for starters
that there probably was only one white woman for every two white men in
colonial Virginia as late as 1700 (see E. Morgan, American Slavery, American
Freedom.)  Morgan also points out that in a selected not necessary random
sample of bastardy records from VA counties at the end of the 17th century
and beginning of the 18th century, white servant women bearing children out
of wedlock, 1/4 to 1/3 were mulattoes.

There are more ways to mix race than just the one the poster is thinking of.

Harold S. Forsythe