From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:56:41 -0500
To Mr. Williams, Anne, and All;

    First, let's settle the question of the absence of treason trials after
the Civil War.  (I wish constitutional historian Harold Hymen was on this
list.)  Abraham Lincoln's position was that insurgents had risen up and
unlawfully overturned loyal state governments and put constitutional
nonentities in their place.  Under Lincoln's (the Executive's)
constitutional theory, treason trials would have been allowable.  Lincoln,
of course, abhorred gratuitous violence.  (The reason why Ex Parte Milligan
takes place during Reconstruction and not the Civil War is because Lincoln
allowed Milligan to be tried by a military tribunal but stayed the
execution.  Andrew Johnson, when he succeeded to the presidency, allowed an
execution order for Milligan to proceed.  That is when Milligan starts
litigating in earnest.  In one sense, Ex Parte Milligan is a death penalty
case whereas Ex Parte Merriman was not.
    The Radical Republicans in Congress had another theory of the War.
Thaddeus Stevens conceded that the Confederate were not legally traitors,
because they had been part of a sovereign would-be government which had lost
its struggle with the USA.  As enemy combatants, they could not be tried for
treason but because they were not US citizens their states were conquered
provinces subject to the jurisdiction of CONGRESS.  This position Lincoln
and later Johnson opposed.  It was at least in defense of this
constitutional interpretation that the House of Representatives impeached
Andrew Johnson in 1868.

    Now, about those ratification reservations, it should first be noted
that only 13 states were in a position to issue them.  Vermont was not asked
to ratify the Constitution, nor was any subsequent state.  So, is Walter
Williams making the argument that the original 13 ratifiers of the
Constitution--actually only 11 set the Union in motion, with Rhode Island
and North Carolina joining later--have a right to secede?  The implication
being, of course, that while Virginia might have the right to secede,
Arkansas and Mississippi do not.  I certainly cannot find that distinction
in the Constitution.  Moreover, who is making this reservation against
misgovernance at the national level, the states, or the people who happen to
be living in the states?  The Constitution commences with the phrase "We the
people..." not 'We the states.'  Thus, the reservations issued in the
ratification conventions of several founding states is little different than
the reservations implied in the 9th and 10th Amendments to the Constitution.
The Supreme Court has not found much meaning in these Amendments.  I wonder
whether it has ever based a ruling on these ratification binders.

    Finally, the Civil War was ruthless on both sides.  It left widows and
one armed and one legged men all over this country up until the 1920s.  But
terrible also was the Mexican civil war of 1857-67 not to mention the
Mexican Revolution, 1910-1920.  What about Russia's terrible civil war,
1917-1922.  Or the one still running in Columbia that commenced in the
1950s.
    Nations are often created by civil war.  This one certainly was.
Perhaps it is right that we are still fighting it in words and thought.  It
reminds us that who we are grows out of intense conflict over what and who
we were.  Yet, it is ironic that people are still condemning Lincoln for
unjustified violence against the South, when literally tens of thousands of
southerners serve the nation in harm's way overseas for the republic that
Lincoln 1) saved, 2) created 3) despotized.

Harold S. Forsythe