From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:00:32 -0400
Some of you were at the debut of the Cabell-Breckinridge Brass Band on May 15 at VMI. I think you will agree they make impressive looking and sounding group with their over-the-shoulder saxhorns in concert and particularly out front of the VMI Regimental Band on parade. There is a good write up, but alas none of the pictures, on the Roanoke Times web site.

The group, under the direction of Col. John Brodie, will be part of an afternoon program June 3 at 3 PM in the garden of the White House of the Confederacy in Richmond.

The program includes music of Civil-War Virginia and of mid 19th century America. Sprightly tunes from the Brass Band Journal - 1854 include The "Lilly Bell Quickstep" and the "Pelham Schottische." Music from the Museum of the Confederacy will be featured in such selections as "Bonnie Blue Flag" (of course :)) and the stirring "Virginia Marseillaise" ('To arms.. Brothers dear.... Gird on your trenchant brand! ') For probably the first time in some 130-plus years, the 19th Virginia Heavy Artillery Band arrangements of "Who Will Care for Mother Now Quickstep" and "Dear Mother I've Come Home to Die Quickstep" will be heard in Richmond.

I don't know the details of admission, but assume it is open to the public; however, if you are interested perhaps you should give the Museum of the Confederacy or the (Confederate) White House a ring.

Randy Cabell