From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 14:48:19 -0400
...... and bring a friend...... to Jamestown next weekend.  I read yesterday that 2/3 of the tickets for May 11, 12 and 13 are still unsold.  Ye gods....... that's 2/3 of the prime market for my "JAMESTOWN JUBILEE" CD!!!!  After my outrageously successful marketing program blew through the first 500, Lehigh-U sent me another 500 to sell, so I need all the help I can get :-))

Remember it is the ONLY CD with music of 1807, 1907 and 2007, and for which the arrangements you hear were ALL created from original sources FOR THE CD, including David Diggs' SUITE FOR BAND based on James Horner's musical score for the Movie THE NEW WORLD.  But to add to its luster as an historic musical stake-in-the ground, it will be a terrific souvenir of Jamestown in May.  i.e.....

TWO Virginia bands will perform music from the CD on Saturday May 12.
-- Der Alte Kameraden German Band from Fairfax.
-- The Stonewall Brigade Band from Staunton

The next night in Richmond, the Richmond Concert Band will perform not only my arrangements of the 1907 Exposition music, but David Diggs' to-die-for 1807 JAMESTOWN JUBILEE, re-creating the 1807 toasts and sounds of Capt. Nestle''s Norfolk Artillery Band.  Both the Stonewall Brigade concert and the Richmond concert will feature yours-truly's THE TRUMPETER OF JAMESTOWN March.

The next Saturday night (May 19), the Reston Chorale, with brass and timpani, will perform that magnificent choral work from 1907, THE OFFICIAL HYMN.   I belatedly got the score and a CD to them only a couple of months ago, and I learned this weekend that after looking and listening, they felt the words and music so powerful, that they dropped two previously scheduled pieces to make room on the program for that 11-minute work.

Last Tuesday night, the Robert E. Lee High School Sympony Orchestra of Midland, Texas played what must be the FIRST performance by an orchestra of my TRUMPETER.  Never having written for a symphony orchestra before, I asked the director if the arrangements were OK.  She said they were all fine, except for the 2nd violins in the TRIO who could not match the gusto of the trumpets on the bugle calls, so she dropped them out in favor of her very fine trumpet section.  The string section of the Midland Orchestra will play at Jamestown on Friday.  So if you are there at Jamestown on May 11, say howdy to the director and tell her you have suffered for the last year with Cabell and his Jamestown musical adventures.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that David Diggs' friend in England: Maj. Graham Jones, Director of the Band of Her Majesty's Coldstream Guards, will play his gift copy of The TRUMPETER at a Changing of The Guard.

Closing on a more serious note, Jamestown-400 needs all the help they can get.  If you want graphic proof of a botched marketing program, I refer you to THE REVOLUTIONARY TIMES which was sent out yesterday from Colonial Williamsburg.  It is a wonderful publicity vehicle, and there are half a dozen short paragraphs on the front which tell of happenings next week in that neck of the woods.  Most, including the Jamestown400, have 'click-ons' for more information.  And most, NOT including Jamestown, provide interesting and colorful detail of what is going on, in the spirit of trying to make you interested in coming on down.  Jamestown?   Provides only information on lodging in Williamsburg.  Bummer.

Keep your eyes open for me on Saturday May 12 in Jamestown.  I'll be the guy in the LandsEnd shirt or jacket with a stylyzed 1632 trumpet and Cross-of-St.-George banner underscored by the caption:

The Trumpeter of Jamestown

Randy Cabell