From:
Bill Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:19:26 -0800
Hening's Statutes seems to define a "plantation" as any sized parcel on land which has some attempt at agriculture made upon it. For instance, http://vagenweb.org/hening/vol07-24.htm

________________________________
 From: Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [VA-HIST] A Virginia Plantation means?

Most historians use 20 slaves as the minimum number of slaves for a plantation for the antebellum period.

In the 17th century it was used in all kinds of ways, including just a settlement or colony -- Providence Plantation (what became Rhode Island) had nothing to with slavery when Roger Williams founded it; similarly, Plimouth (or Plymouth) Planation.  English documents talk about "plantations in the new world."
I suspect (just guessing) there might be references to Jamestown Plantation (like Plymouth PLantation)  as a settlement rather than a huge farm.

----
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)