From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:57:36 -0400
Actually no I don't. I have no idea, nor do I particularly care what
O'Keefe did or did not do in her spare time. Artists are, and were,
often a bit well "artsty". Some were flamboyant, some had alternative
lifestyles, some were stark raving lunatics. Did it effect their
work, yes. Does it particularly influence my appreciation of it, no.
Van Gogh was more than a little odd and I really like his work.
Toulouse-Latrec was also a bit different, but again I enjoy much of
his work. I could go on, but I won't.

Unfortunately to compensate for excluding people in the past we are
now including relatively unimportant people primarily because of the
color of their skin or their sex. And because of limited teaching
time excluding other more important people. While I think excluding
someone as a result of them not being White and/or male is wrong,
neither is it correct to include them primarily because they are
not.  It is demeaning, racist and/or sexist. There are lots of
Americans of all sexes and ethnic background worthy of study. I would
rather be ignored than included as someone's token anything.

I have visited many of the US's "finest" art museums and while I was
well acquainted with Georgia O'Keefe's floral paintings, I was
unaware that she was "well" known for her paintings of the Southwest
until it came up in my text book. That I am not particularly a fan of
O'Keefe's work probably has something to do with this, but I have
seen a fair amount of her work. Interestingly most of the web sites
on O'Keefe's paintings deal almost exclusively with her floral works
(at least the ones I located). It is pretty easy to miss the SW
entirely. I just think that there were probably more influential
American artists. but in the end it is all opinion. Maybe someday I
will be asked to contribute to the SOLs.

James Brothers, RPA