From:
Holly Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:40:20 EST
In a message dated 1/14/2007 9:12:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
On this subject, does anyone know where the Episcopal Church records
are kept? I believe they have a place in northern Virginia, I really
need to go there to try to find some information that seems to have
been lost in one of the "burn counties." I'm hoping some church
records, minister's records, etc. will be able to help me.
Much of it depends on what kind of records you are seeking.  Many records are
kept at the parish, others at the diocese--Virginia has three; the Diocese of
Virginia, the Diocese of Southern Virginia, and the Diocese of Southwestern
Virginia.  The Diocese of Southwestern Virginia has placed their records with
Virginia Tech.  See http://spec.lib.vt.edu/mss/Episcopal/episcopalhp.htm for a
description of diocesan level records.  Additional records at the national
level are in Texas (Austin as I recall).  There is an organization of historians
and archivists for the Episcopal Church, and I believe each diocese has an
historiographer.

Let me know if I can help further!

Holladay "Holly" Mills
Amherst, Virginia