From:
Lee Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:40:19 -0400
Non est inventus, as you might guess, is a little more complicated than simply "not found," although
that was the sheriff's written indication on an arrest warrant or capias writ when he was unable to
secure the prospective defendant.  This might mean, however, that the person in question was not
resident in the county of the sheriff's jurisdiction, in which case the plantiff's suit might either be
dismissed or he/she would be non-suited for lack of jurisdiction.  If evidence existed that the party in
question was indeed a resident of the county but could not be located, then the court could proceed
against the real and/or personal estate of the defendant, as appears to have been the case in your
examples.

The term covenant-servant was used occasionally in colonial Virginia and seems to have indicated a
situation where a free person agreed to serve another for a specified period of time under certain
parameters (covenants), but these arrangements do not appear to have included some of the strictures or
the post-service benefits normally associated with indentured servitude.  See the act concerning the
hiring of servants, 1 Hening 439 (1658); York County records, 1644, in 17 Virginia Magazine of History
and Biography 211; and Warren M. Billings, "The Law of Servants and Slaves in Seventeenth-Century
Virginia," 99 VMHB (1991), 45-62.

I hope some of our colleagues have more to add on these points.
   Lee

--
E. Lee Shepard
Assistant Director for