From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:44:33 -0500
Just, I think, the evidence suggested by Edmund Morgan that by 1640 a
significant number of black folk were free in Virginia.  Since there is no
evidence of massive manumission or a general emancipation, the default
assumption is that they were treated like indentured servants coming in
without contracts.

Harold S. Forsythe