From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:43:55 -0400
James,

The Virginia SOLs are for FAMOUS AMERICANS, not strickly Virginians. You
would not want Virginia children to grow up not knowing about the famous
people from around the country who helped shape this great nation, now would
you?

By the way, Virginia had its own Rosa Parks in Irene Morgan. If you don't
know who Irene Morgan is (not was, she's still alive), check out:
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/famamer/Morgan.html

The Virginia SOLs have their limitations. For example, Virginia children
learn that Virginia contributed eight presidents. In truth, they contributed
ten. Eight were presidents of the United States, but Sam Houston became the
President of the Republic of Texas, and J. J. Roberts became the President
of Liberia.

When I was running the computer lab at Southside Elementary, I had pictures
of some Famous Americans as wallpaper on the computer screens in the lab.
One, of course, was a picture of M. L. King. One kindergartner came in the
lab, looked at the picture of King, and said, "That's my favorite
president". And, wouldn't you know it, that little fellow, with his blonde
hair and blue eyes showed the wisdom of our children learning about ALL the
heroes of our culture!!!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert