From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:07:48 -0500
Kevin,

You have a reasonable approach to the matter. I've been fairly convinced
since I read Fawn Brodie many years ago. I leave a little room for doubt,
but NOT because he was a great, wonderful, founding father, but because
there is always the chance that we are misreading the circumstances. I think
that Jon Kukla made a good case in Jefferson's Women, by looking at how
Jefferson interacted with other women during his life. He was quite clumsy
with women, failed to consider them as equal human beings, killed his
beloved wife by excessive child-bearing, failed to provide a decent
education for his daughters, and more than I can remember at the moment.
Topping that off was The Hemingses of Monticello which explore the
relationship by his actions both recorded and not, towards the Hemings
family which was distinctly different than his relationship to most of his
other slaves.

I do not come at this subject as a trained historian or geneologist, but as
a lover of stories. And Sally and Tom are a good story whether you decide it
has fiction running through it, or if you decide that is is strictly
factual.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert