From:
Donald E King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:18:34 -0700
Personally, I do not care whether the site is free or not. Actually, Ancestry.com does have operating expenses. What I regret are the incorrect data. Send an e-mail to the poster and almost guaranteed that you will not receive a response that generally means that the person copied the data from somebody else or their e-mail is out-of-date. One other thing that irritates me is that you try a lookup and you indicate that you want data on a person in order to completely cover a range from 1650-1800. You will get those, but you will also get inundated with people born after 1900. Thus Ancestry can balloon the number of hits you get.
Some data contain death dates older than birth dates.

The LDS data are free. I am not LDS, buy I appreciate greatly the service that they provide. If a person uses only the "official" (parish registers et al) data, they can better rely on the information.

Lastly, as I could go on, some of these free sites appear to be selling out to Ancestry and those Public ID sites which promise to provide "dirty information" on you. Enter the name of someone in your genealogy whom you are trying to find and you likely will land in Ancestry or one of these public disclosure sites.

Enough!
Don

PS : a few days ago I attempted to update my e-mail on VA-HIST.