From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:16:36 -0400
During the last two or three years I have noticed a rapid increase in
central Virginia in the number of Mexican restaurants and others
advertising the cuisine of specific Central or South American countries.

Almost every little town now has a Chinese restaurant, too, and larger
ones often have quite a variety of Asian cuisines.

If you look at the 2000 Census figures for Virginia you will observe
that the number of foreign-born people in this state is huge. There is
probably a greater ethnic and cultural and religious diversity in
Virginia right now than at any previous time. Northern Virginia has the
greatest number as well as the greatest diversity, but the diversity is
very widespread.

Widespread everywhere, not just in Virginia. I am reminded of an article
I read a few years ago about recent immigrant experiences in a town in
California. One immigrant from China reported that he never imagined
that he would be running a Mexican restaurant in the United States.

Great stuff.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us