From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 18:06:29 -0400
Please note that there are major differences between the dynamics of Indian
Schools in different historical time periods.  I only know something--very
little, in fact--about the colonial era.  A few years ago I encountered a woman
from one First Nations people who was trying to discover records of the names
of the young men from her people who were sent to Williamsburg. It struck me as
curious that such records are so hard to find.  Perhaps more will turn up in
time.

As for more recent experiences, there is a good deal of material out there about
the assimilationist policies of the BIA,Indian Schools, and Missions.  Try
researching the Carlisle Indian School, for instance.  And in the past year or
two some scandalous stories have emerged about Indian Schools in Canada--the
mortality rate for young children through the 20th century was incredibly high.
 Not to mention the cruelty practiced in separating children from families,
westernizing costume and hair, and punishing children for speaking in their own
language.

Anyway, there's a lot of work for historians to do in this field.

KJB

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:08:41 -0700  Discussion of research and writing about
Virginia history