From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:29:14 -0500
Cut the man a break, will you? Thomas Jefferson lived in his time. We
can't judge him against the standards of our own time, or our
post-slavery ideas of social structure back then.

While it's probably true, as has been so vividly asserted, that there
were several randy Jeffersons prepared to ravish the flower of
Albemarle's African maidenhood, does it matter, from this long time,
who did what and with whom?

I can think of several family names that are borne by strikingly
similar-looking individuals of different "races" and nobody seems to
care.  If, in fact, Sally was Jefferson's wife's half-sister, one
should think that he would have been terribly distracted by the
resemblances. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking it didn't
happen, even in the best of families.