From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 12:05:49 -0400
Rondina,

I am very well aware of the what the Virginia statutes  and black codes said. It was all covered in my article about the Kelley Brothers in great detail.

My question was not about Virginia law. It was about what the "free" states' laws had to say about it.

Specifically, since (technically) freed slaves from Virginia had to leave the state, just where they were suppposed to go? Were there laws on the books in the "free" states that prohibited it? Maybe this is not the right forum to ask this question, but considering the volume of email on "The Peculiar Institution" I am hoping someone has studied this issue.

Craig