From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:36:44 +0000
I'd be hesitant to label the Patowmack canal a failure (my word, not WNapier's)--it all depends on whose perspective you adopt.  The company never was profitable--so if you tell the story from that perspective, it is hardly a narrative of "success."  But if you look at the role that the company played in promoting commercial agriculture in the Valley, in the context of other transportation improvements connecting the Valley to the eastern seaboard, the story is surely considerably less obviously one of frustrated hopes and failed investments.  Quite a few Alexandria merchants did just fine off of the economic opportunity that the canal created, as did numerous farmers upstream.  The amount of grain and other goods carried by the canal was non-trivial, even if underwhelming from the perspective of the company directors and investors.

Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor
Department of History, MSC 8001
James Madison University