From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:12:47 -0400
Anita you aren't paying attention. Modern opinion obviously can't
effect what happened in the past. But it can influence how what
happened is reported and it can change history. Was it not Walter
Plecker, Registrar of VA Dept. of Vital Statistics, who almost single
handedly eliminated all of Virginia's Indians by deciding that they
were Negro? And was that not racist? And was it not someone effecting
the past, as he destroyed birth certificates and had new ones
created? There are lots of examples of revisionist history rewriting
what happened. And most people accept what they see on TV or read in
the paper as truth. They do not have the skills or the inclination to
go do research and check the "facts" that have been presented.

The point is that Virginia and Virginia history do not and did not
exist in a vacuum. We are, and our ancestors were, a part of the
society around them. That extra-judicial executions were sanctioned
in parts of the USA and not others is significant. And the why is
significant. If all that mattered was what happened in Virginia, then
slavery might well still be legal. Because it was not Virginians who
ended it. If all that mattered in terms of civil rights was what
happened in Virginia then why do the Virginia SOLs include Brown v
the Board of Education, or Plessy v Fergusson, or Dr. Martin Luther
King (who did little in our state), or Rosa Parks (after all her
actions took place in Birmingham, AL).

Of course as all of North America was at one time "Virginia" anything
that happened or happens in the USA and Canada is relevant to
Virginia history. Like certain factions in the Muslim world who will
not rest until Al Andalus is recaptured from the Spanish, so too
should true Virginians not rest until the rest of North America
returns to the Virginia fold.

James Brothers, RPA