From:
Barbara Vines Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:23:38 -0500
One source would be the  agriculture censuses; You can track individuals
through 1880 and before and after that you can get the compiled data from
government  published data-- below are some examples--the nice thing is that
you can compare areas. Lumber was considered an agricultural product.

You might also want to try the historical census browser at

http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/collections/stats/histcensus/index.html

Compendium of the Enumeration of the Inhabitants and Statistics of the
United States, as Obtained at the Department of State from the Returns of
the Sixth Census by Counties & Principal Towns, Exhibiting the Population,
Wealth and Resources of the Country. . . . Washington, D.C.: Thomas Allen,
1841.

 DeBow, J.D.B. Statistical View of the United States Embracing Its
Territory, Population-White, Free, Colored, and Slave-Moral and Social
Condition, Industry, Property and Revenue; the Detailed Statistics of
Cities, Towns and Counties; Being a Compendium of the Seventh Census to
Which Are Added the Results of Every Previous Census, Beginning with 1790,
in Comparative Tables, with Explanatory and Illustrative Notes, Based upon
the Schedules and Other Official Sources of Information.

 Kennedy, Joseph C.G. Agriculture of the United States in 1860; Compiled
from the Original Returns of the Eighth Census under the Direction of the
Secretary of the Interior. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office,
1864.

 Walker, Francis A. The Statistics of the Wealth and Industry of the United
States Embracing the Tables of Wealth, Taxation and Public Indebtedness of
Agriculture, Manufactures, Mining and the Fisheries with Which are
Reproduced from the Volume of Population, the Major Tables of Occupations,
from the Original Returns of the Ninth Census, (June 1, 1870) under the
Direction of the Secretary of the Interior. Washington, D.C.: Government
Printing Office, 1872.