From:
Richard Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:43:54 -0500
> (By the way, I include murder because Sherman himself [in US, War of
> the Rebellion I/32/176] admits to having destroyed hospitals in
> Meridian, Miss. during his ten-day destruction of the city in 1864])
> and I don't know how a hospital can be destroyed without causing
> people to die.

   Well, you could remove the patients first.

   For the record, here is what Sherman wrote in the OFFICIAL
RECORDS, ser. 1, vol. 32, pt. 1, p. 176:

 So I rested the army on the 15th, and on the 16th began a systematic
and thorough destruction of the railroads centering at Meridian. The
immense depots, warehouses, and length of sidetrack demonstrated the
importance to the enemy of that place. Through it he has heretofore
transported his armies and vast supplies, and by means of the
railroads large amounts of corn, bacon, meal, and produce have been
distributed to his armies. For five days 10,000 men worked hard and
with a will in that work of destruction, with axes, crowbars,
sledges, clawbars, and with fire, and I have no hesitation in
pronouncing the work as well done. Meridian, with its depots,
store-houses, arsenal, hospitals, offices, hotels, and cantonments no
longer exists.