From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:46:19 -0400
EXPLANATION OF THE 25 JEFFERSONS BEING BATTED AROUND IN THE MEDIA AND
ELSEWHERE.

Please let me clarify this number to read: 8 potential Jeffersons NOT
25. In the early days immediately after the false DNA headline story in
Nature Journal I was approached by a very talented individual and George
Washington researcher, who wished to name as many Jeffersons in the
Jefferson charts that were alive at the time of Sally's conceptions.
Since I had all the Jefferson family history and charts back to England
and was asked by Dr. Foster to participate in the DNA Study, everyone
was interested in who the Jefferson males were. I gave the individual a
number of 25 that were alive at that time, making it absolutely clear
that my research had found only 8 to be even close in the contest. May I
please suggest that "25" be dropped from any future research. Of course
Thomas was one but the others suspects at that time (since revised) are:
George Jefferson (TJ's business agent in Richmond),Randolph and older
sons, and a slave named Sandy (denoting the Jefferson sandy hair
etc),(inherited by TJ from his father and who knows how far back his DNA
goes, Thomas I, Thomas II or Peter). This slave "could" have had a male
son with the previous Jefferson DNA that "could" have fathered some of
Sally's children. I have found no reason to revise the "possible eight",
EXCEPT recent research has led me to conclude that it was Randolph
because Dr. Foster tested a KNOWN Eston male descendant whose family had
ALWAYS claimed descent from "a Jefferson uncle", meaning Randolph. With
this family belief the DNA match would automatically be expected but the
only thing it would conclude is that the Eston DNA "confirmed" their
claims. NOTHING concludes that it was Thomas. Dr. Foster, in my opinion,
was remiss in not telling the media, Nature Journal, Monticello and the
public that he was testing such a "guaranteed match."

For any discussion of the half-sister false rumors I refer all to a
great study done by two very serous and dedicated researchers, Dr. and
Mrs. James McMurry, Jr. in their book, "Anatomy of a Scandal, Thomas
Jefferson and the Sally Story." This book is available from Amazon and
elsewhere, finds NO truth to this rumor.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian