From:
Thomas Katheder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:08:59 -0700
Same here. I've reviewed thousands of Colonial Virginia correspondence and legal documents and have never come across arbitration as a method of setting a sale price between two arms-length buyers (i.e., not under some kind of compulsion, such as an order in chancery, to buy or sell).

Since Mr. Wills cited it, I'm sure he had a source, but I can say with some confidence it wasn't a widespread practice.

Among larger estates, some sellers attempted to dispose of their property by lottery, but of course that only worked if there were enough ticket buyers. The Virginia Gazette is full of examples.

The most common aspect of selling real property in Colonial Virginia was that the seller was compelled in practice to accept a promissory note for some or all of the purchase price, because few buyers had ready money.

One of the most salient features of Colonial Virginia, along with other British American colonies, was the extreme scarcity of cash, about which much more needs to researched and written.

Aside from slavery, in my view nothing else retarded economic development more in Colonial Virginia.

Thomas Katheder