From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:52:20 -0500
  I suppose I qualify as within the category "other researchers."  I am fascinated
by the poster's use of MAY, COULD, etc.  This language of
contingency seems reasonable and prudent, except that it is
based on the almost unstated and certainly unargued premise of
Thomas Jefferson's "innocence," and by the way, his own
unproblematic parentage.
  Since we are in the realm of MAY and COULD, and since the
poster has posited that T. Jefferson's father MAY have fathered a
child or children by one of his slaves, COULD Thomas Jefferson
himself have been one of those mixed race offspring?  After all, we
have no more proof of TJ's parentage, save for legal attestation and
"oral history," than we have for the parentage of Sally Hemmings'
children.  And I have seen enough natural readhaired black people
to know that the racial amalgamation, which has been brewing in
America since the early 17th century,  is capable of producing a
"black" person who looks like any "white" person alive.
  Hey, this is easy.  If I am committed enough to my own
preconceived conclusions and use the rhetorical methods of
skepticism, I can assert almost anything and call it history.

  There is an absolutely wonderful scene in a film I saw a year or
two back--can't recall the title.  The main character, white, is at a
TV commercial shoot and the black (hip!) assistant producer is
explaining to a couple of white extras for the scene, that he had
recently read a book that showed that the Holocaust was entirely
fictional.  The Jews had just made it up.  The main character walks
up and joins the conversation, claiming that he had read that book
and that it also claimed that the whole slave trade story was a
hoax.  "Actually, the Africans were so eager to come to America to
work, they paid their own way."
  The assistant director retorted:  "Man, that shit ain't funny!"
  The main character is fired from the commercial.

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University