From:
Lewis Burruss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:19:59 -0500
Hooray! Who can ever forget Jefferson's description of this beautiful
place? "The Natural bridge, the most sublime of Nature's works, though not
comprehended under the present head, must not be pretermitted. It is on the
ascent of a hill, which seems to have been cloven through its length by
some great convulsion. The fissure, just at the bridge, is, by some
admeasurements, 270 feet deep, by others only 205. It is about 45 feet wide
at the bottom, and 90 feet at the top; this of course determines the length
of the bridge, and its height from the water. Its breadth in the middle, is
about 60 feet, but more at the ends, and the thickness of the mass at the
summit of the arch, about 40 feet. A part of this thickness is constituted
by a coat of earth, which gives growth to many large trees. The residue,
with the hill on both sides, is one solid rock of lime-stone. The arch
approaches the Semi-elliptical form; but the larger axis of the ellipsis,
which would be the cord of the arch, is many times longer than the
transverse. Though the sides of this bridge are provided in some parts with
a parapet of fixed rocks, yet few men have resolution to walk to them and
look over into the abyss. You involuntarily fall on your hands and feet,
creep to the parapet and peep over it. Looking down from this height about
a minute, gave me a violent head ach. If the view from the top be painful
and intolerable, that from below is delightful in an equal extreme. It is
impossible for the emotions arising from the sublime, to be felt beyond
what they are here: so beautiful an arch, so elevated, so light, and
springing as it were up to heaven, the rapture of the spectator is really
indescribable! The fissure continuing narrow, deep, and streight for a
considerable distance above and below the bridge, opens a short but very
pleasing view of the North mountain on one side, and Blue ridge on the
other, at the distance each of them of about five miles. This bridge is in
the county of Rock bridge, to which it has given name, and affords a public
and commodious passage over a valley, which cannot be crossed elsewhere for
a considerable distance. The stream passing under it is called Cedar creek.
It is a water of James river, and sufficient in the driest seasons to turn
a grist-mill, though its fountain is not more than two miles above."