Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:32:23 -0800
SOrry to hear about your ordeal, but I have learned alot of genealogical lessons like that too. All of my research is in VA or NC and I live in MD, so I have mastered (just kidding) long distance genealogical research by using online library catalogs, my local library, the DAR library and the Lbrary of Congress in DC and VA and NC state archives and library resources. I now do alot of my research out of town using one of two methods. I either order the film from the Church of Latter Day saints in my area for $5.50 for 30 days, you can renew twice more for the same price and upon the third renewal the film remains at your location permamently. I also use the Library of VA interlibrary loan program constantly - it is free. I go online to library of VA to determine the reel number for the county I am researching and then go to the Information desk at my local library and give them my order, you can order up to 5 reels at the same time. It usually takes
 about 3 weeks to get here and then I can keep it usually for about 4-5 weeks.