From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:16:36 -0500
If we could somehow be sure that the WPA Slave Narratives were exact,
unedited statements of what former slaves said about slavery, they would be
the remembrances of elderly people of what their childhood had been like
during slavery just before the Civil War. Surely, an important source of
information but not the definition of American slavery.

Virginia’s county court records reveal a much fuller story of what slavery was
like. They are like newspapers, telling us what happened of importance on the
county level over the approximately 250-year history of slavery. (Much of the
Virginia Gazette has survived as well). These are the historical records of  the
white community’s treatment of slaves.

And the wills and deeds written by slave owners expose their true thoughts
and actions on the subject. They tell the story of the total degradation of a
people:

“To my son John my wearing apparel, my horse, my wench Agnes…”

Paul