From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:17:25 -0400
Dear VA-HIST members:

I would like to invite you to the next in the Library of Virginia's
noontime lectures.  On Thursday, May 19, 2005, J. Jefferson Looney will
present a talk entitled "Cabbages in Paradise: Editing the
Retirement-Period Papers of Thomas Jefferson." This talk is co-sponsored
by the Virginia Heritage Resource Center's "Mining the Treasure House"
lecture series. We are especially glad to be hosting a former colleague.
Dr. Looney is a former editor and project director for the Library of
Virginia's Dictionary of Virginia Biography.  He is currently the Editor
of the Papers of Thomas Jefferson: Retirement Series, sponsored by the
Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc., Charlottesville, Virginia.

Dr. Looney will speak on the goals and background of the ongoing effort
to prepare the definitive edition of the papers of Thomas Jefferson;
discuss the process of editing and the ways in which this work adds
scholarly value to the edition; and comment on what we learn about
Jefferson from editing his papers both generally and during his last
years.

We have a number of interesting lectures and book talks scheduled in the
next few months and you can access a full listing of events here at the
Library by clicking on "News and Events" at: http://www.lva.lib.va.us
<http://www.lva.lib.va.us> .  The Library is located in Richmond at 800
East Broad Street between 8th and 9th Streets and offers free, limited
parking.  Feel free to contact me if you have questions about this
lecture

Gregg Kimball

Director of Publications and Educational Services

804/692-3722