From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:41:44 -0600
Mr. Dixon writes:  "None of the founding fathers in the slaves states
freed their slaves."

I guess that Washington was no a founding father?  Or Henry Laurens in
South Carolina? Or Ben Franklin (Pa. was a slave state when he freed his
slaves).
Also, even Jefferson freed a few (8 in all);

Yes, TJ was in debt, but that is how he chose to live is life.  Just as
Henry Wiencek refers you to his book on Washington, I urge you to read
the last two chapters of my book Slavery and the Founders:  Race and
Liberty in the Age of Jefferson where I deal with some of the issues set
out below.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law