From:
James Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:54:12 -0400
Call for Papers & Discussants: The Virginia Environment: A proposed theme
and sessions for the second Virginia Forum, Richmond, April 13-14, 2007

1) Forests, farms, and urbanization: 400 years of environmental change in
Virginia  (a session proposal)

While a great deal has been published about environmental change in
Virginia, the 400th anniversary of the settlement at Jamestown provides a
good opportunity to re-assess what we think we know, and to look for
opportunities to integrate information from multiple disciplines that
address different aspects of the changes that have been wrought on the
landscape.  I seek papers that address long-term changes to forests, farms,
and urbanized areas in Virginia and their impacts on larger environmental
processes from multiple disciplinary perspectives.

Please send a 400-word abstract and a c.v. if you want to be considered for
this proposed session.

2) I am also interested in working with other presenters and the program
committee to highlight an environmental theme at the forum if there are
other papers that address different aspects or short-term changes to the
environment of Virginia.

Please send me your name and the title of your submitted paper if you are
interested in highlighting the environmental aspects of your proposed paper.

3) I would also like to form a discussion panel to address topical and
methodological concerns and opportunities for researching environmental
change for the last 400 or more years.

If you are interested in participating in this panel, please send a brief
statement on the issues you would like to address and a c.v.

Please send all material to James Wilson at [log in to unmask] by September
25th for consideration.

Thanks,
James

James W. Wilson, PhD
Assistant Professor of Geography
Old Dominion University

--------------------------------------

The Virginia Forum call for papers:

The second Virginia Forum will convene at the Library of Virginia, in
Richmond, on April 13-14, 2007. The Virginia Forum offers an opportunity for
exchanges of ideas among scholars, teachers, archivists, librarians, and
museum curators, and all those interested in Virginia history and culture.
The Virginia Forum welcomes proposals for presentations on all topics in
Virginia history, but the 400th anniversary year of 2007 offers a special
opportunity for reconsidering large and significant themes in Virginia's
history and its place in national and international history.   The committee
welcomes proposals for individual papers or complete panel sessions, panel
discussions, workshops, poster sessions, or electronic presentations.  Send
a one-page proposal, along with a brief vita of the presenter(s) to the
chair of the program committee, Dr. Larissa M. Smith, Department of History,
Longwood University at [log in to unmask]  Proposal deadline: October 2,
2006.