From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:59:18 -0400
Phebe:

That is an unusual situation and one I've never encountered as a
consistent pattern among a diverse set of slave owners. As you know,
the names of the slaves are not given on these schedules. (This had
been a lively debate in Congress when passing the first slave
schedule act.) Another good source for you to check are inventories
of estates which will provide names, in some cases even surnames, and
in some cases relationships. While a will may have named certain
slaves, more often than not there were several more not named.  For
other details, study the accounts of an estate to see who was sold,
hired out or otherwise inherited by descendants. There are lots of
goodies in those records concerning slaves.  On a slightly unrelated
topic, a recent survey we made for estate records in Lancaster County
revealed that only 37.5% of decedents died leaving a will. In nearly
every case where a person died with a will and named slaves, there
were other slaves not named at all in the will.

Craig Kilby