From:
Ronald Seagrave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 14:02:38 -0400
Given the recent network problem of VA-HIST, back in mid-April I posted:
Dose any list member have any data/reference material on the early
Speculative Society, of Edinburgh, operating or former members living in
colonial Virginia?

The Virginia Gazette posted a letter from Dundee, Scotland, dated June 22,
1774 concerning the Society operation there., "as one of the several
entertainments of that place..." given the merits of this society it must have
been of interest to some of the readers of the Gazette who must had
known of there almost secert operations.

I'm currently attempting to find any available data on the "Speculative Society
of the Town of Petersburg," a 1793 library association and would welcome any
related source material.  The Virginia General Assembly in 1795 granted this
society a charter. Locations of any current books once held would also be
welcome - they contain a book plate "Speculative Society/Petersburg," I've
been able to locate only a single copy. All works were sold prior to 1830. I'm
hoping to locate a few more titles.

Thank You,
Ronald Seagrave