From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:02:43 -0400
The deed search in the archaeological survey
on Point of Rocks in CF County is wrong.
Somewhere around the Lynch transaction it got
a bit screwy. I re-did it later and got an
entirely different result which I
back-checked and am sure is the correct
version. That particular Mt. Airy was a
plantation-let set up for the daughter of the
owner of Cobbs and was apparently re-absorbed
later. I wondered when I dug it why there
were so few tobacco pipestems and found that
with a female owner, the answer was somewhat
obvious. It's now under the parking lot for
the park.

That part of the world has been replatted by
a Malcolm Walthall in the 1950's? and is in
the Library of VA.

Does anyone remember seeing a deed with a
plat which shows the mouth of Ashton Creek
with a canal lock and labeled "ancient
canal"? Dated early in the 19th century. That
was located during the first deed research
and I couldn't find it again.

Lyle