From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:03:57 -0700
Thanks, Marsha.

Yes, this is the same family, descendants of John and Agness Gilmore through James Gilmore, Sr. and his wife, Martha Dennison.  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~qvarizona/gilmore.html

James  died ca. 1783 and left the plantation he lived on to Joseph --my ancestor--  and William.  William sold his interest to Joseph a few years later.  I don't know if this plantation was Sidney Vale or not.

When Joseph died in 1830,  he left the " Sidneyvale Tract of Land " to his wife and two of his sons. In 1863, his son, Joseph Jr.  left the "Sydney Vale tract of land including the six hundred acres moun_?__ track adjoining, and my Reeds farms.." to his heirs. In his will,  Joseph Jr. requested that the grist mill "Gilmore's Mill" be sold.

In 1867, a cousin from PA spent the summer with his  Gilmore relatives at Sidney Vale, and in his journal, mentioned that it was 4 miles south of Gilmore's Mill and Natural Bridge.  The name Sidney Vale/Sydney Vale continues to show up in family bible records, DAR records, etc. for another generation, and I can continue to trace the ownership of Sidney Vale until it was sold sometime before 1903.  By then,  part of the original Sidney Vale land was incorporated into the Jefferson Natl. Forest, and part was sold to the RR.  From records I've found, it would appear  there was no road to this property until 1929 or later, and that part of the property sold with the house and land included a boat large enough for a wagon, etc.  On maps, I can see a road that crossed the James just south of Gilmore Mills, but then what?

There's reason to believe the house may still be standing, and as a "collector"  of old ancestral houses, I'd like to find Sidney Vale.

Joanne

marsha moses <[log in to unmask]> wrote:This is just a crazy thought off the top of my head. I do some research
on what I call the 1763 Cornstalk incident. The Gilmore family was
heavily affected by both this and the earlier incident if my memory is
correct. I am thinking that "Indian John Gilmore"'s grandfather was
killed in the earlier incident at Kerr's Creek and his father in the
incident in 1763 and that John was taken into captivity. Kerr's Creek
is in Rockbridge County as I recall. Surely if this is a related
Gilmore family, there land would have been close to Kerr's Creek.

To find the area on a modern map start at Lexington, Virginia and go
east on route 60 and where it crosses I-64 you are looking at the exit
that you would take to look at the Kerr's Creek area. When I pull out
my map to double check that my memory is right, I see that the Creek on
the north side of I-64 is called Gilmer Creek. But this is not south of
Natural Bridge. marsha in WV