From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:49:51 -0500
Let me add to Ervin Jordan's post on the first slave who ran away by
submitting the name of Sam, who ran away in the 18th century after
having been freed and attempting to carry other enslaved persons into
freedom. His advertisement appears in
the Virginia Gazette (Purdie),
Williamsburg, June 16, 1775.

as follows:

"TEN POUNDS REWARD.
RUN away from the subscriber in Dunmore county, in May last, a negro
fellow named SAM, 5 feet 5 or 6 inches high, has a broad face, and is
a well looking fellow. As to his clothing, I cannot be certain, he
having carried several things with him. He also took with him an old
bay horse very gray about the head, an iron pot, a narrow axe, a
handsaw, and an old smooth bore gun. About three years ago he
purchased his freedom of his old master, Mr. Francis Slaughter, and
continued in that state till this spring, when it was discovered he
was attempting to inveigle away a number of negroes to the new or
Indian country (where he had been most of the last summer) upon which
the neighbours insisted on his being reduced to slavery again, and I
purchased him. I imagine he will endeavour to pass as a freeman, he
having a discharge from his old master, as well as one from Lord
Dunmore, having served in the expedition against the Indians last
fall. Whoever delivers said slave to me shall have the reward that is
offered.
GABRIEL JONES."

You can access this (and many other runaway advertisements, including
females) at http://www.vcdh.virginia/edu/gos

--
Tom Costa
Dept. of History