From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:46:28 -0400
A friend from New Orleans, Ed Lindsey, is seeking information about whether
an ancestor participated in the care of wounded soldiers, Confederate or
Union, during the Civil War.

  If you could give him any advice, I would be very grateful.  His email
address is [log in to unmask]

All best,
Jon Kukla
________________
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>

---------- Forwarded message from: Ed Lindsey

For some time I have been "chasing" my great grandfather, Dr. Caleb
Lindsey, who graduated from U. Of Penn. Medical School in 1836. I have
managed to locate information regarding his predecessors (back to ~1730)
and even was able to secure a copy of his hand-written thesis from the
university archives. Caleb was an avowed Progressive Republican. According
to family lore, he railed against secession, insisting that the South would
be flattened. I intuit that his stance derived from his experience in
Philadelphia (1834-36), where he would have observed busy factories and a
bustling port.

 After moving from Jasper County, MS, to Pass Christian as the war heated
up, he found himself “out of favor,” to say the least, with his neighbors.
A hand-written reminiscence alluded to a time he spent in a Confederate
prison. After the war, he served as collector of customs for Bay St. Louis
– a “non-job,” as it were. He was a delegate to the Mississippi
Constitutional Convenion. When he died in 1874 he was dependent on my
grandfather for sustenance. Altogether it is a sad story of a man of high
principles.

 My purpose in writing is to solicit your advice respecting how I might
proceed to determine if he participated in the care of wounded soldiers,
Confederate or Union, during the Civil War. . . .