From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:51:40 -0400
In the 17th-century and sometimes the early 18th century, mourning rings
were rings usually worn by family members and close friends as a token
of rememberance concerning their deceased relative or friend.  (Often
the testator would even bequeath such rings to designated kin or friends
to remember him/her.)The rings could be simple bands of gold, or at
times, rings set with a simple stone or gem.  Such mourning rings are
not all that different from large mourning "spoons" given to certain
persons at or after a funeral during 17th-century in Dutch settlements
in upstate New York. These serve the same commemorative purpose as these
mourning rings.