Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:30:09 -0700
I went to Longwood University a couple of weeks ago to
see my sister in She Stoops to Conquer. I also planned
it for research on my book while I was there. I read
through the microfilm of the Farmville Herald. I must
say, it is a real dream to go through all the issues I
could go through. I barely made a dent into the
issues, but learned quite a bit. Here is an
interesting tidbit I found from 1951. I for some
reason forgot the exact date of the issue, but I hope
you like the information.

A builder

Early in the 1800's a boy came from the nearby country
to make his home in the town of Farmville. Energetic,
ambitious, intelligent he became the man who has built
more buildings in Farmville than any other. His eighty
years were completed last Thursday evening when in the
town he has built he passed into another city not made
with hands eternal in the heavens. The builder, Henry
Moring, has monuments to his handiwork thoughout
Farmville- the Weyanoke Hotel, the Southside Community
Hospital, the Farmville Baptist Church, a substantial
portion of Longwood College, several Main Street
storehouses, and innumerable residences. He loved to
build; he appreciated nice buildings; and even after
his retirement some years ago his interest in building
remained keen. During his career he trained many
artisans who continue to construct fine buildings not
only here but throughout Virginia. Farmville is a
finer town because of his artisanship.

I personally hope that anyone who goes through
Farmville will remember the name. I also hope you like
the information that isn't controversial.

Paul Shannon