From:
Peter Henriques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:52:19 -0500
In  his novel, The Human Stain, Philip Roth notes that one of America's
oldest communal passions is  to indulge in the "ecstasy of sanctimony." We feel
good and morally superior by  condemning the moral failings of others, past
and present. I think it is  particularly important for those of us
dedicated to a study of the past to guard  against falling into the dangerous
condition of the "ecstasy of sanctimony." It  affects those on both the right and
left wings of the political  spectrum.

Peter  Henriques

In a message dated 12/11/2012 9:42:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,