From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:02:16 -0400
Herbert,

Have you read Kukla's book in total? Or did you just read a bit from the
chapter on Sally Hemings and, not finding it to your liking, damned the
whole work?

The reference to the Commonplace Book was not (as I recall) in the Sally
Hemings chapter, but in another chapter, only obliquely referring to his
ALLEGED relationship with his maid.

As to the "pimping" I am using the common definition of one who procures
partners for a woman who is expected to perform sexual services for said
partners, to the benefit of the "pimp". That "benefit" is typically money,
but it can be anything even as small as a "Thank you" and still lie within
the definition.

As long as you keep insisting that any Jefferson paternity to Sally's
children must be attributed to relatives, I will continue to point out that
you are reducing your hero to a PIMP.

As to my motives, there are rather open. I just want to know more about
Jefferson's life than is given in his writings and his biographers. In my
mind, it is better for Fawn Brodie's romantic tale to be true, that they
loved each other over many years, than to believe that he gave her to any
tom, dick and harry who came to visit.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert