From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:05:03 -0700
Martha,
One of my direct ancestors, Mary Bowden (born 1729 to Mary and William Monroe), was an Indentured Servant at George Washington Birthplace in Westmoreland County. Mary Bowden had several children at George Washington Birthplace, including my direct ancestor, Patty Bowden (born 1750).  Although the original house where Washington was born burned down, the outline of it is still visible.  A replica of the house was built in a separate location.  I believe the Washington's were Middling (or middle class) folks, who tended to marry up.  It appears that several of the Washington men married widows, who brought their own property (including slaves) to the table.

George Washington's father, Augustine's first wife, Jane Butler, brought Popes' Creek (name changed to Wakefield and is now George Washington Birthplace),  to the table upon their marriage. The Butlers also owned slaves, which were willed to Jane and her heirs. When Augustine Junior was seventeen years old, he was left in charge of Wakefield. His father and stepmother Augustine and Mary Ball Washington, moved to Ferry Farm, when George Was about three years old.

Anita