From:
"Grundset, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:43:29 -0500
In November, while visiting the newly opened museum at Jamestown Settlement, I noticed something in the same vein. Near the statue of Powhatan in the exhibit hall is a large wall map depicting the route of the three ships coming to found the colony. Jamestown is placed on that map on the Potomac River in modern King George County -- maybe it has been corrected since I was there -- I couldn't believe it. There wasn't anyone on the staff nearby to show. There were other little things like that scattered around too -- New Sweden is absent from a map of early East-Coast colonies, for example. I don't mean to detract from the wonderful museum that is now in place there, but one would think that these sorts of things would not occur there of all places and certainly not this year. I sure hope they fix that map.