From:
Eric Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:33:04 -0500
Miss/Mrs. Evans,
As a descendent of the Richardson family of that area and an academic
Historian, the Powers-That-Be view heavy equipment development as the only
form that garners them the needed publicity.  However, as a Public
Historian from across the border in NC, we view Virginia's treatment of its
historic resources as a model.  When I correct my colleagues & give them
concrete evidence that VA has done an excellent job of covering up its
historic preservation mistakes, they are dumb-founded.  Sustainable
development (like historic and cultural resources) does not garner many
votes but is less costly to local taxpayers in the long run.  I have served
for many years on a NC county's Historic Properties Commission and
developers see only short-term gains as their goal, not long-term
sustainability.  An historic site provides multiple generational benefit (a
significant plus on the balance sheet if we look at societal cost) while
industrial development lasts for a decade or two (or less, depending on
technology).  The cheap, fast buck always wins unless the argument can be
re-framed as "sustainable" (which plays off a buzzword few voters
understand but the Register & Bee can use in headlines).  In NC, I have
asked our County's Commissioners' why we should destroy an existing
resource to chase pie-in-the-sky money & development.  It worked but it is
not an easy task.
Good luck convincing them of the value of the long-term investment versus
the short-term profit.
Eric Richardson

--
Eric J. Richardson