From:
Krystyn Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:25:33 -0500
Hi Everyone--

I have a question about the 1860 U.S. Federal Slave Censuses for northern Virginia.  I have noticed on several pages that there is something that looks like the letter "E" after many slave owners' name and then "" symbols below this symbol and next to some (although not all) of their slaves' general information (no names, of course).  I'm guessing that this means that the man or woman who owns these slaves are his/her employer (as opposed to renting them out), but I'm not sure.  Does anyone on the listserv have some insight as to what this means?

Thanks!

--Krystyn (please email me directly at [log in to unmask])