Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 22:37:16 -0400
To take up Sam Sheppard's original point in this thread:

Somewhere on my computer is a record of a train trip that John D.
Rockefeller Jr., a descendant of St. George Tucker, and, I think, James
H. Dillard--later chairman of the General Education Board--took across
part of the South and most of Virginia (starting across the Old
Dominion, I think, in Hampton), but 1905 sounds too early. Maybe not. If
Sam Sheppard thinks this could be part of the May Campaign, I'll try to
scout it up and post it. If memory serves, it was on this trip that the
John D. Rockefeller Jr. forged his connection with what is now Hampton
University.

To join the discussion about the suspension of Virginia Cavalcade:

Every person interested in Virginia history rues the Cavalcade's
absence, and hopes for its revival, among them me. Until that day
comes--and I hope it is soon--may I suggest for consideration as an
alternative, Colonial Williamsburg, the journal of the Colonial
Williamsburg Foundation? As it happens, I have the luck to be the
current editor of that popular-history, five-times-a-year, 88-page,
four-color magazine. The journal's writ runs only to subjects that are
"colonial" or "Williamsburg" or "Colonial Williamsburg," and has no
pretensions to the diversity that made the Cavalcade so valuable. Nor is
it scholarly. But many find it enjoyable, others aggravating, and most a
bargain at $35-a-year--much of which is tax deductible and goes to
support the foundation's educational endeavors.

Subscriptions and free sample copies can be had at:
http://history.org/foundation/journal/feature.cfm

Otherwise, a selection of three to five stories from each issue is
posted on the Colonial Williamsburg Web site--also
http://history.org/foundation/journal/feature.cfm--and indefinitely
maintained where the whole is word-searchable. For educators, history
buffs, genealogists, and others, there is a remarkably wide range of
resources accessible through the portal page: http://history.org

Dennis Montgomery
Editor
Colonial Williamsburg

Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe wrote:

>> From this distance I would be reluctant to advise.  I think those
>> historians
>
> living in and near the Richmond area should meet and talk about how to
> restart Virginia Cavalcade.  Perhaps with a starter grant, the LV
> would be
> able to pick up support for the journal in a year or two.
>
> Harold S. Forsythe

>>> though. I view that decision as an unfavorable turning point in