From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:59:40 -0400
Neil,

If I had just read a "few good parts" instead of the whole book, I would
have said so. I am retired, so have no need to take shortcuts in reading a
book, especially in preparation for a book discussion on another forum.

I would suggest that YOU read the book before deciding whether or not
someone else has read the book. The book is well annotated, and if you wish
to take issue with some of the facts presented, you can look at the source
yourself. It was a controversial election, and although Jefferson did not
campaign in the same way as modern candidates do, he did not sit on his
hands either. Jefferson used the same technique used so much in the
primaries, of having a supporter make an assertion, so that the candidate
can say it was unfortunate that the issue came up. That is why the American
History discussion forum on Exiles from the New York Times website chose to
read the book at this time.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert