From:
lillian steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 05:37:46 +0000
Hello to All:  I am an educator and also very interested in using music in a
historical context.  I was born in Salisbury,NC  which among other things is
the site of a Civil War Prison and a much earlier (late 18th Century) visit
by our First President.  Someone mentioned the title of the music played at
General Jackson's  funeral.  Mrs. Stonewall Jackson attended Salem College
which is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and which, by the way is
the oldest college for women in America.  It was founded originally for
young ladies of the Moravian faith but from the beginning was, and still is
open to all young women every where.  And the school was racially integrated
during it's early days which I personally consider a major feat.  Jane
Steele.