From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:20:14 -0500
This is a pet peeve, but Scotch is a drink and Scots is a nationality
so strictly speaking, and this is from my Northern Irish cousins
recently discovered, they prefer Scots-Irish.

Anne, you've gone off half-cocked yet again. The English, being
nominally Protestant, were of the same general religion as the Scots-
Irish, although the Scots-Irish were more likely to be Presbyterian or
Wesleyan and those folks were much more hard-line than the COE types
in England.

You seem to be confusing marriages between the nominally RC Irish in
the current Republic and the nominally COE English. As religion often
was a barrier between marriages rather than much of anything else,
it's rather a silly point to attempt to argue. Marriage between two
branches of Protestantism would be more likely than across the great
divide of RC and Prot.

As for doing dirty work, they were in the majority soldiers so, yes,
they did the "enforcer" stuff quite well. They were after all part of
Cromwell's army sent to subjugate the Irish and settled into Northern
Ireland.

Lyle Browning