From:
Matthew Mace Barbee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:12:22 -0400
While Ashe is significant for breaking the color barrier in a
historically upper class and white sport, he needs to be remembered for
his post-tennis career as a writer, columnist, and human rights
activist.  In his multiple memoirs and his columns for The Washington
Post, Ashe presented an approach to race, sport, and popular culture
that was conservative, measured, and dependent upon very traditional
notions of hard work, self-sacrifice, and the family.

And, unqiue among athletes and other celebrities, Ashe was willing
invest his all in the political causes he beleived in.  In the early
1970s he broke the color line and played in the South African open,
despite criticisms from some Civil Rights activists.  From the late 60s
onward he spent considerable time and money working with tutoring
programs and offering free tennis clinics to African American
children.  Ashe didn't simply parrot popular positions or make
occasional speeches.  He put himself on the line and got into the
trenches.

We would all benefit from studying Ashe's life.  While he isn't the
greatest Virginian, he is representative of what makes Virginia so
special.