From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:11:16 -0400
The database has 19 "sandy" in the results, of which a bunch refer to
landforms. 1 is the TJ person and two others have the name Sandy.
However, there are more than a few that have "reddish or sandy" hair
as a descriptor so it isn't necessarily correct to exclude the "sandy"
as pertaining to red, but would be more accurate to refer to it as a
particular hue of lightish tan/red.

I also agree that Sandy is a diminutive for Alexander. In the
Geography of Slavery, there are 56 entries for Alexander. Of the 15 I
checked, none of the slaves had the given name of Alexander, with the
name all referring to whites.

Based on that sample, it is (here we go with that word again) probable
that Sandy is infrequently used as a given name for slaves and if
used, is not a nickname for Alexander which is absent from the sample
as a slave's given name.

As most of the usage was in reference to physical appearance as noted
in the particulars for apprehension, sandy does seem to be a
legitimate but not exclusive descriptor for some variation on light red.

Lyle Browning, RPA